Last update 30 November 2016
The Department of the Environment undertakes environmental risk assessments for NICNAS to consider in its overall assessment.
The Environmental Risk Assessment Guidance Manual for Industrial Chemicals—which is used by the Department of the Environment—is available on the website of the (former) Standing Council on Environment and Water: www.scew.gov.au.
The guidance manual provides an overview of:
- the steps taken to carry out an environmental risk assessment on industrial chemicals, including lifestyle considerations
- what data are needed and how they are used
- nationally adopted criteria, such as for persistence, bioaccumulation and toxicity
- how international considerations are taken into account
- how risk assessors come to their recommendations about environmental risk management actions.