Notify your chemical

If you intend to commercially import or manufacture a new industrial chemical, or a product containing a new chemical, you need to first check whether it must be notified to NICNAS.

An industrial chemical is considered to be new if it is not listed on the Australian Inventory of Chemical Substances (AICS), or is listed but subject to a condition of use.

Unless an exemption applies, the chemical must be assessed by NICNAS for risks to human health and the environment. Import or manufacture can begin after you are issued with a permit or certificate for that chemical.

If you are required to notify your industrial chemical, there are two main notification categories—permits and assessment certificates.

Last update 29 July 2018