Key information about the new scheme
There is now a new Australian industrial chemicals law – the Industrial Chemicals Act 2019. This law creates a new regulatory scheme for the importation and manufacture of industrial chemicals in Australia (to replace NICNAS) from 1 July 2020.
This law also gives effect to the ban on the use of new animal test data for ingredients solely used in cosmetics.
Industrial Chemicals General Rules, Categorisation Guidelines and Transitional Rules — now final
Date: 2 December 2019
After extensive consultation with stakeholders we're pleased to announce that these key documents are now final:
- Industrial Chemicals (General) Rules 2019
- Industrial Chemicals Categorisation Guidelines (final draft)
- Industrial Chemicals (Consequential Amendments and Transitional Provisions) Rules 2019
- stakeholder submissions following our public consultations on the General Rules and Categorisation Guidelines and our responses
The General Rules set out the details for the regulation of the importation and manufacture of industrial chemicals in Australia under AICIS.
Categorisation Guidelines (final draft)
The Categorisation Guidelines set out technical details and requirements to support introducers to categorise introductions of industrial chemicals. The Executive Director of AICIS issues the Categorisation Guidelines. These Guidelines will be formally issued by the Executive Director on the AICIS website on 1 July 2020.
The Transitional Rules cover matters relating to the changeover from NICNAS to AICIS. They will work together with the Industrial Chemicals (Consequential Amendments and Transitional Provisions) Act 2019.
- NICNAS exemption categories will continue to be available until 31 August 2022 for introduction of chemicals not listed on the AICIS Inventory.
- NICNAS low volume and controlled use permits will remain in force until at least 30 June 2022.
There is also 3 Industrial Chemicals Charges Acts authorising the imposition of charges on importers and manufacturers of industrial chemicals.
Last update 7 January 2020